Like us on Facebook

Friday 6 July 2012

Photo Fits

Here's a photo representation of what I've been up to since the last newsletter...

Sunday 27th May
144 Jazz Club in Rochester ("The Ronnie Scott's of Medway!")
I played here in October as part of my most recent UK tour, and they invited me back for a Sunday lunchtime gig.
So here I am with evidence of my previous appearance - pride of place in the "Staircase Hall of Fame."

Sunday 27th May
Da Scalzo restaurant, Elizabeth Street, London
A fantastic family-run Italian restaurant.  You can just about make out the chalk board (it's considered un-PC to call it a
"black board" now, you know!) with my name at the bottom right and... on the left, an advertisement for their upstairs
art gallery......

...... a collection of Italian toy cars.

Sunday 3rd June
Milestones Jazz Club, Lowestoft
Lowestoft is the furthest east point on mainland Britain.  (Can anyone tell me the furthest West, South and North?)
As such, a trip to Lowestoft and back in one night is tiring!  Hence pianist Rick Simpson's coke/red bull cocktail.

Wednesday 6th June
Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club
I performed at Ronnie's on Monday 18th June as part of Renato D'Aellio's "Acoustic Jazz Lounge" which is a Monday night fixture in the upstairs bar.  I didn't manage to get any pictures of that night, but I had been snapped singing on the main stage during the late late show a couple of weeks previously.  This picture I think is fantastic - showing real skill from photographer Benjamin Amure for getting these vibrant colours to work so well together.  And who would have thought that a combination of no make-up, glasses, greasy hair and trainers would actually work?!!


Wednesday 13th June
The Spice of Life, Soho
I went to see the Callum Au Big Band play their fantastic West Side Story suite (and reviewed it here: http://londonjazz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/review-callum-au-big-band-west-side.html)
 I inadvertently stood in front of an artist who had been trying to draw the band... so he drew me instead!
"Hips of a hip chick."

Sunday 17th June
Margam Orangery, Port Talbot.
This is one of two banners for gigs in June that had a picture of my face that was as big as my face!

Sunday 17th June
Cardiff Central Station.
An inquisitive seagull.

Sunday 24th June
Ziggy's World Jazz Club, Enfield
The second banner where my face is ACTUALLY the same size as my face!

Thursday 28th June
Hideaway, Streatham
As its name suggests, Hideaway Jazz Club is "hidden away" down an alley off the high street.  The proprietors have made an excellent decision to have a Hideaway cafe at the front with live jazz playing, and an opportunity for passers-by to see the listings for the week - old-school cinema style!

Friday 29th June
"Oxford Live Jazz Club" at Carswell Country Club, Faringdon, Oxon.
From left to right: Dave O'Higgins, Darren Altman, me, Rick Simpson, Connor Chaplin.

Saturday 30th June
Oxford Town Hall (total coincidence that I had two gigs in Oxfordshire two nights running)
What an amazing hall!  This was a gig with "King Candy and the Sugar Push," a brilliant swing dance band, who were playing for the Oxford Lindy Exchange.  I've done a number of gigs with this band, and with other dance bands, so have seen many dancers doing their thing.  This was one of the best dance nights I have ever been to - the standard was superb, and it's great to be able to sing at a gig like this because I get the privilege of looking out at the dancers (rather than them looking up at me) and marvelling at their skill.


Now a few photos that my sister took at Margam Orangery...

No, that's not me playing the bass.

Great window shadows.


Bec noticed that quite a few times in the set I made a gesture like this guy in the background.... and managed to capture one.  Separated at birth?!


1 comment:

  1. No, you're not playing the bass.... but I like your lampshade hat.

    ReplyDelete