Like us on Facebook

Tuesday 15 May 2012

A Crooked Spire

The Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints, Chesterfield.


I had first seen this spire when I was nine years old, and on a school trip to Derbyshire.  Our teacher - arts, drama, and interesting buildings enthusiast - had requested that we take a detour through Chesterfield to look at this spire (out of the coach window: no time to stop!)  I remember being distinctly unimpressed, well, I was nine!

There are many theories as to why the spire is crooked, one of the most likely being that for 300 years the spire was made of wood and when lead tiles were added, the weight of them, and the fact that one side got more sun, caused a gradual twist of the spire.  But this is my favourite: "In common folklore, there are numerous explanations as to why the spire is twisted. One is that the spire was so shocked to learn of the marriage of a virgin in the church that it bent down to get a closer look. Should this happen again, it is said that the spire will straighten and return to its true position."  So that's a comment on all women who get married in that church given that the spire is still crooked!


I was in Chesterfield to perform at the Pomegranate Theatre, to play at the "Arts in the Bar" series, which is a monthly gig on a Monday night for local jazz performers.  I was playing with my 'northern' quartet - Dan Whieldon, Gavin Barras and Dave Walsh.  I'll be performing with them next in Leyland, Lancashire at a new jazz club on Tuesday 5th June.  And I'll next be in Chesterfield to perform at the Chesterfield Jazz Club for their Christmas Show on Thursday 20th December.

Outside the Theatre.  A great picture, but not a great picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment