Like us on Facebook

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Backstep





A modern classical piece of music?  An experimentation of the vocal chords' capabilities?  A score which stretches the ranges of even the best bass and best soprano?  8 classical voices and a beatboxer?  
On paper, it shouldn't work, but this new composition by writer Chris Lewis, has got me enjoying making music in this way.  I am no advocate for modern classical music: as a flautist, I prefered the scale-based runs of a Mozart overture, or the lush harmonising of a Rachmaninov concerto.  (I disliked modern classical compositions so much that once I used my tendonitis - which was a real problem for me as a teenager - to get out of playing a particular section of a new piece with my orchestra, despite the conductor signalling that he was ready for my piccolo solo!  I still feel bad about it to this day!)

However, I have so enjoyed performing this piece of music, and feel delighted to have been asked to be part of the group.  It’s been great to meet some different singers from a different scene, because I usually spend my time with jazz musicians, so working with different people has been great.

The piece has been generating quite a bit of attention - from being featured on BBC breakfast on April 22nd to picking up a following on YouTube and facebook.  The facebook group is here, but even better, have a look at the debut show on YouTube.  We have another show this evening at the Green Carnation in Soho.


No comments:

Post a Comment