Like us on Facebook

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Going Home

I grew up in Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, where my parents had moved to in the '70s pursuing a job of my Dad’s.  We lived in a small but spacious house - I say spacious because, even though there were 6 of us(!), we still managed to house a piano and various other musical instruments including a drum kit, several trumpets and more recorders than you would know what to do with.  And on top of that, we managed to find space to practise daily without annoying each other (I think!)

Encouraged by Mum and Dad, we each learnt three instruments - mine being flute, piano and recorder, and later the voice - and would fairly regularly deliver family concerts to raise money for various charities, usually at our local church.  

So it was this history that led my Dad and me to plan a concert at Christchurch, Hitchin, earlier this month.  (Read a review of the evening here).

My Dad did an amazing job of advertising, and inviting all the musical people I used to be involved with.  My secondary music teacher was there, and even my French and English teachers who I hadn't seen for 15 years.  Family friends and friends from Christchurch, and the North Herts jazz contingent all helped to make this a memorable evening.  



Despite having recorded two CDs with my jazz quartet that I try to promote as much as possible with gigs up and down the country, I wanted a more intimate sound for this concert, so chose to perform as a duo with Will Bartlett on the piano - one of the best pianists I've ever worked with, and certainly the best at playing any song in any key, and sometimes one song in five different keys!  We can also exploit the fact that I play the piano too, and have a party piece or two pour piano á 4 mains.  (Book us for this extravaganza by clicking here!)


Overall, it was a fantastic evening, and a lovely way to spend a Saturday night.  I'd like to thank a few people for working hard to make this gig such a success:
* John Hamblin, who turned up at 4pm to make the church look fantastic with brilliant lighting.
* Paul Arnold, whose expertise with sound made it such a comfortable acoustic to sing and play in.
* Anna Hughes for providing the most sophisticated bar you've ever seen in a Methodist church (complete with percussive interludes while shaking cocktails!) and also for singing with me at the shortest notice possible (During the applause for a song, I announced that Anna would be singing the next two with me, and that was the first she'd heard of it!)
* My Dad for ensuring a fantastic audience were there, helping to set up the church, and washing more table cloths and glasses than I can count!
*Stuart Gwinett for taking the pictures.

Anna looking surprised at being asked to sing
If you missed it, or want another installment, I'll be singing next on Thursday 19th July at The Sun Hotel as part of the Hitchin Festival.  This will be with my full band.  Tickets are already available for sale either from my Dad, or from the Hitchin Town Centre Initiative office: 01462 453335

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog post! And I loved your gig and I loved making cocktails for you :)

    ReplyDelete