Like us on Facebook

Thursday 5 April 2012

Blackpool Sunday

The March gigs came to an end with two concerts in Blackpool - one at the Art Deco Cafe, and one at The Sands venue.  Two very different venues and two very different jazz experiences.  

The weekend was amazingly sunny, and brought a large crowd of ice-cream seekers to the Art Deco Cafe at lunchtime.  They didn’t get their food for such good value as the 1973 prices unfortunately!



I have played at Art Deco several times before, and it’s a lovely little gig, entertaining the Sunday afternoon tea crowd.  This time I was playing with guitarist Willy Fluss who I haven’t played with since I lived in Lancaster in 2004.  It was great to see him and play with him again.  





I had a couple of hours to kill before the concert at The Sands, so wandered down to the seafront to enjoy the sea on such a beautiful day.  The Sands venue is right on the Promenade, and has an amazing first-floor restaurant which looks out over the coast - which in Blackpool is impressively straight.  I’ve only seen this view before from one other place in Blackpool which is from the top of “The Big One” at the Pleasure Beach!


Blackpool Tower
Looking out over a hazy seafront



It was indeed a pleasure to be back, because the last time I performed at The Sands venue, I had a frantic train ride there, and arrived after dark (it was in February).  This time, the 5pm band call still left a couple of hours of daylight to enjoy, so I was reminded of how much I liked Blackpool when I lived in nearby Lancaster at the start of the millennium.  I hope to be back again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment